The American Society of Cinematographers held their 31st Annual ASC Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography on February 4th, 2017 in Hollywood. Actor and Filmmaker Denzel Washington was given Board of Governor’s Award for career achievement in a profession other than cinematography.
Best Cinematography awards included:
• For a Theatrical Release: Greig Fraser, ASC, ACS, Lion
• For a Television Movie, Miniseries or Pilot: Igor Martinovic for The Night Of “Subtle Beast”
• For a Regular Series for Non-Commercial Television: Fabian Wagner, BSC for Game of Thrones “Battle of the Bastards”
• For a Regular Series for Commercial Television: Tod Campbell for Mr. Robot “eps2.0_unm4sk-pt1.tc”••
• Spotlight Award, (recognizing outstanding cinematography in a feature-length film that was exhibited in limited release, at film festivals or internationally): Gorka Gomez Andreu, AEC for House Of Others
Longtime DCS member Frank Kay of JL Fisher and Bruce Berke of Kodak were surprised at the ceremony with the Honorary Bud Stone Award of Distinction. Since being established in 2008 in honor of the late Burton “Bud” Stone, who for many years was president of Deluxe Laboratories this award is presented to one or more recipients each year in recognition of service to the ASC.
As previously announced, two long time and very prominent members of the Digital Cinema Society, Ron Garcia, ASC and Nancy Schreiber, ASC were honored for their accomplished careers. Garcia received the Career Achievement in Television Award while Schreiber took home the Presidents Award. Also honored this year was the legendary Edward Lachman, ASC for Lifetime Achievement and Philippe Rousselot, ASC who was honored with the International Award.