With the new FX3 Full Frame Cinema Camera, Sony continues to blur the lines between their Cinema and mirrorless Alpha lines. While not much bigger than an a7S, the FX3 is optimized for handheld operation, yet it also offers high-end cinema camera features and operability. It is designed to be equally at home on a gimbal or on a stage as B-Camera to an FX6, FX9, or even a Venice. Product highlights include:
- 10.2 megapixel full-frame back-illuminated CMOS Exmor R™ sensor
- S-Cinetone™ look – inspired by the color science of the digital cinema camera VENICE – which is also used in FX9 and FX6 Cinema Line cameras
- Ultra-high sensitivity with ISO expandable to 409,600 for very low light conditions and 15+ stops of dynamic range
- Fast Hybrid AF (Autofocus), Touch Tracking (real-time tracking) and Real-time Eye AF, also used in other Alpha™ cameras
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization with “Active Mode” supports handheld movie shooting
The camera is expected to be available in March at a suggested price of $3,900US.