Panavision Introduces New Millennium DXL2 with RED MONSTRO 8K VV Sensor
Panavision used the occasion of the 2018 BSC Expo in London to introduce their new Millennium DXL2 8K. The large-format camera is the heart of a complete imaging ecosystem including optics and camera architecture, the RED MONSTRO 8K VV sensor, and Light Iron color2 science (LiColor2). The new DXL2 builds on the success of the original Millennium DXL, which now has over 20 feature films, countless television shows, commercials, and music videos under its belt.
An important distinction is that the DXL2 now features the RED MONSTRO 8K VV sensor that claims to offer over 16 stops of dynamic range with improvements in image quality and shadow detail, equipped with 16-bit RAW, a native ISO setting of 1600, and ProRes 4K up to 60 fps. The 8K VV sensor measures 40.96mm wide and 21.6 millimeters tall, capturing almost twice the area of a standard S35 sensor.
New Light Iron color2 science has also been incorporated to streamline the 8K workflow for quick access to high-quality RAW images, accommodating direct to edit without delays. Meanwhile, an integrated PX-Pro color spectrum filter custom-made for the DXL offers a significant increase in color separation and higher color precision to the image. Built-in Preston MDR, 24v power and expanded direct-to-edit features are also standard equipment on the DXL2. An anamorphic flare attachment (AFA) offers a convenient, controllable method of introducing flare with spherical lenses.
• Sensor Type – 16-bit, 35.4 Megapixel CMOS
• Resolution – 8192 x 4320
• Sensor Size – Large Format: 40.96mm x 21.60mm (Diagonal: 46.31mm)
• Dynamic Range – 16 Stops – (improvement of 1 stop comparing to the previous DXL model)
• Max Frame Rate – 60 fps at 8K Full Frame (8192 x 4320), 75 fps at 8K 2.4:1 (8192 x 3456)
• Recording Codec – 8K RAW with simultaneous 4K proxy (ProRes or DNx)
• Recording Media – SSD (up to 1 hour on a single magazine)
• File Type – .R3D (supported in RED SDK)
• Color Profile – Light Iron Color 2 (compatible with all popular gamuts and transfer curves)
• Weight – 10 lbs
DXL2 cameras are not for sale, but are available now to rent exclusively from Panavision on a worldwide basis.
For more information, visit www.panavision.com/dxl