OWC, a longtime trusted provider of spinning disk and solid state hard drives, has now announced a new LTO archiving system. The Mercury Pro aims to make the process of secure longterm backup as simple as drag and drop. Using archiving industry-standard Linear Tape-Open (LTO) tapes formatted with the Linear Tape File System (LTFS), the tape can be accessed on your computer just like a hard drive or SSD whether Mac, PC, or Linux systems. LTFS is an open, cross-platform system, and LTO tape is the dominant archiving medium that has continued to advance since being introduced in 2000. Your data will be accessible with any brand of LTO hardware for decades to come.
The Mercury Pro LTO uses the latest 12TB LTO-8 tapes, the previous generation 6TB LTO-7 tapes, and is designed to use future release LTO-9 drives. Thunderbolt (Type-C) provides plug and play ease on Thunderbolt 3 and future Thunderbolt 4 equipped computers.
Feature highlights include:
- Store more: up to 12TB native/30TB1 compressed storage capacity per tape cartridge
- Flexible: built-in IBM-LTO-8 Ultrium Drive reads and writes LTO-8 and LTO-7 tapes
- Store longer: up to 30-year tape longevity
- Instant ROI: Lowest cost storage format; as low as $0.02/GB and up to 50x less costly than online storage
- LTFS compatible: archive files/folders with drag and drop ease
- Simple interface: mount, format, and backup to an LTO tape and hard drive simultaneously via included myLTO® app, a $299 value
- Secure: supports AES 256-bit encryption for sensitive data
- Compliance ready: supports WORM cartridges required by legal/regulatory record keeping
- Fast tape creation: up to 360MB/s native/900MB/s1 compressed transfer rates
- Configurable drive bay: add an optional 2.5/3.5-inch HDD or SSD for up to 16TB ‘staging’ capacity
- Expansive: second Thunderbolt 3 port for adding up to five additional Thunderbolt devices or your choice of a USB-C or DisplayPort device
The Mercury Pro LTO is available to order now from MacSales.com for $4,499USD and includes the myLTO® software, LTO-8 tape and cleaning cartridge. Additional solutions up to 16TB are also available. For more information, please visit: https://other-world-computing-press-room.prezly.com/owc-introduces-mercury-pro-lto-solution-making-archiving-seamless