Sony has just announced the PXW-FS5, a new 4K Super 35mm CMOS sensor cinema camera that will fit in between the FS7 and the FS700. With an MSRP of $5,600US for the body only, and $6,100US with an 18-105mm f/4 lens, the camera will only be able to shoot UHD 3840 x 2160 out of the box. However DCI 4K and 4K RAW will be available later via a paid firmware update. The LCD is detachable, and can be mounted in a number of places, while the on-board recording is via industry-standard SD cards. With a native ISO of 3200, strong ND filtration is very necessary, which is achieved with a built-in electronic variable ND filter that’s capable of 7 stops (ND 2.1). There will also be a manual ND filter with options of clear, 1/4, 1/16, and 1/64. The camera is expected to ship by the end of November 2015.
• Super 35-Sized EXMOR (8.4 Megapixels Effective at 4352 x 2662) Sensor
• Sony E-Mount
• UHD at 24/30 FPS, HD Up to 240 FPS
• XAVC Long, AVCHD Recording Codecs
• 2 x SD Media Card Slots
• HD/3G-SDI & HDMI Output
• Supports Wi-Fi and NFC
• Native 3,200 ISO, Goes up to 32,000 ISO
• 14 Stops of Dynamic Range
• Manual ND Filter: OFF: CLEAR, 1: 1/4ND, 2: 1/16ND, 3: 1/64ND
• Built-in Electric Variable ND from 1/4ND to 1/128ND
• S-Log2 and S-Log3
• On-board XAVC-L recording
• 3840 x 2160 8-bit, 4:2:0, up to 30fps continuous.
• 1080 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 60fps continuous & 120, 240, 480, 960 fps buffered.
• Magnesium frame & body with active cooling
• 4K 4096×2160 output capable with paid future firmware upgrade
• v4K RAW in Future Firmware
• Dual SD Card Slots, Can Record Proxies
• 2 XLR, Built-in Mic
• 2X Digital Zoom in HD, 1.5x in UHD and 2K Center Crop for Super 16mm Lenses
• Same batteries as FS7
• Weight: Just under 2 pounds, Under 5 Pounds with everything
• List Price: $5,600 without lens, $6,100 with 18-105mm f/4
Also announce by Sony is their a7S II Mirrorless Digital Camera with a full-frame 12.2MP Exmor CMOS sensor. It is capable of internal UHD 4K recording at 30 fps, but can also record 1080p at up to 120 fps, all in the XAVC S format. For both stills and video recording, the BIONZ X image processor pairs with the sensor to enable expanded sensitivity to ISO 409600, as well as fast intelligent autofocus with low-light sensitivity. Further enabling working in difficult lighting conditions, 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization compensates for vertical, horizontal, pitch, yaw, and roll camera movements for sharper, smoother handheld recording.
The a7S II also has the ability to utilize S-Log3 Gamma and S-Gamut3 in addition to S-Log2, for increasing dynamic range values. The body is magnesium alloy and features built-in Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC to pair with mobile devices to for wireless sharing and remote camera control. The a7S II also has multiple timecode recording options to meet different workflows; ’Record Run” or “Free Run” in both drop frame and non-drop frame modes. The camera will go on sale September 17, 2015 at an MSRP of just under $3,000US.
• 12.2MP Full-Frame Exmor CMOS Sensor
• BIONZ X Image Processor
• Internal UHD 4K30 & 1080p120 Recording
• S-Log3 Gamma and Display Assist Function
• 5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
• 0.5″ 2.36m-Dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF
• 3.0″ 1,228,800-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
• Up to 5 fps Shooting and ISO 409600
• Fast Intelligent AF, 169 AF Points
• Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC