ARRI announced that it will support the new Apple ProRes 4444 XQ codec in the next Software Update Packet for Alexa cameras. ProRes 4444 XQ is designed to preserve detail in high dynamic range images. According to ARRI’s Marc Shipman-Mueller, “Up until now, the ProRes 4444 330 Mb/s version has been the workhorse of professional filmmakers using the Alexa. ProRes 4444 XQ has a higher target data rate of 500 Mb/s that makes it the ideal choice for postproduction that requires visual effects processing or extreme color grading.” Apple’s Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2 fully supports ProRes 4444 XQ for editing, compositing, rendering and exporting. The ARRI Alexa XT and Alexa Classic cameras with the XR Module will gain support for ProRes 4444 XQ in the Software Update Packet SUP 10, which is scheduled for an open beta in July and a final release in August.
- DCS Mourns The Loss of Legendary Cinematographer Victor Kemper, ASC
- SIGMA Adds 70-200mm F2.8 DG DN OS to Their Full Frame Mirrorless Sports Lens Line
- Cinnafilm and Perifery Announce Partnership to Enhance Media Conversion Workflows
- AJA Announces DRM2 Frame for AJA Mini-Converters
- DCS Mourns The Loss of Legendary Cinematographer John Bailey, ASC